The 22nd edition of the Prince Edward Island International Shellfish Festival was a resounding success.
Throughout the weekend, more than $24,000 in cash prizes were awarded. The Garland Canada International Chef Challenge winner and the top cash prize of $10,000 went to Jinhee Lee of Foreign Concept Restaurant in Calgary. This year’s competition featured an all-Canadian chef lineup to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canada.
The Prince Edward Island Fishermen’s Association broke the record for the World’s Longest Lobster Roll. The final lobster roll length measured in at 203.2 feet, made from 132 lbs of lobster meat and entirely constructed in the festival tent.
Food Network Canada’s Chef Lynn Crawford hosted the three days of activities. The Marlene Dowdle Memorial Award was introduced with a $1,000 cash prize to the fastest lady shucker. The inaugural winner was Melissa Somers. The award was presented by The Dowdle Family and Food Network Canada’s Chef Chuck Hughes.
Here’s a quick round-up of all the 2017 awards and winners:
- Restaurants Canada Shellfish Excellence Award: New Glasgow Lobster Suppers
- Tie One On Mussel Championship: 1. Neil Ellsworth, 2. Jeff Peterson, 3. Shane Hustler
- Shiny Sea P.E.I. Oyster Shucking Championship: 1. Bradley Gallant of Driftwood Catering, 2. Jason Woodside from Sou’west Bar and Grill, 3. Melissa Sommers
- Cleanest Plate (female): Coreen Pickering, Broadway 45
- Cleanest Plate (male): A tie between Daniel Notkin and Jason Nagay
- Raspberry Point International Oyster Shucking Championship:1. Daniel Notkin of Montreal; 2. Emon Clar of Toronto; 3. Jason Nagay of Montreal
- Motts Best Caesar in Town: 1. Laura Brothers of Old Triangle; 2. Matthew Hannah of The Hopyard
- Garland Canada Chef Challenge: 1. Chef Jinhee Lee, Foreign Concept Restaurant, Calgary; 2. John Vetere-Ravine, Vineyard Estate Winery, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
- P.E.I. Potato Chowder Championship: 1. Mitchell Jackson from Claddagh Oyster House, 2. Jane Crawford from The Hopyard, 3. Erin Henry from Piattos.
The dates for the 2018 P.E.I. International Shellfish Festival are Sept. 13 to 16.