As Nova Scotia marked another seafood export milestone, Premier Stephen McNeil and Fisheries and Aquaculture Minister Keith Colwell recently travelled to Boston to join 19 Nova Scotian seafood companies at the annual Seafood Expo North America.
Recently released numbers show that Nova Scotia remains Canada’s seafood export leader with more than $2 billion in exports — 29 per cent of Canada’s total seafood exports. The province’s seafood exports have more than doubled since 2012 when they stood at $922 million.
“Nova Scotia’s seafood industry continues to reach new heights. Last year, our companies exported over $2 billion worth of our premium quality seafood products to markets around the world,” said Premier McNeil.
The United States remains Nova Scotia’s largest market for seafood exports with close to $984 million in 2018. Exports to China followed with over $524 million, an increase of 36 per cent from last year, and the European Union followed with over $197 million.
“Our international seafood brand, 45 North 63 West, has helped give us a competitive advantage by communicating key attributes that our products are known for — exceptional taste and premium quality,” said Colwell said.
“I’m very proud of the hard work of our seafood processors and exporters as they continue to meet the growing demand for our premium seafood products.”
While in Boston, the premier used the opportunity to speak with United States government officials about Nova Scotia’s key trade interests. He also met with representatives from the World Economic Forum to explore partnerships related to Nova Scotia’s ocean industry.
The 19 N.S. exhibitors that participated in Seafood Expo North America included:
- AC Live Lobster Inc., Yarmouth, Yarmouth Co.
- Aqua Production Systems, New Glasgow, Pictou Co.
- Blois Fish Processing Automation Ltd., Dartmouth, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Bluenose Seafood Inc., Sambro, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Canada Rope and Twine Ltd., Bedford, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Captain Little Seafood Ltd., Port Mouton, Queens Co.
- Cedar Bay Grilling Company Ltd., Blandford, Lunenburg Co.
- Clearwater Seafoods Ltd., Bedford, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Fisher King Seafoods Ltd., Lower Sackville, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Fishermen Premium Atlantic Lobster Inc., Cape Sable Island, Shelburne Co.
- Gidney Fisheries Ltd., Digby Neck, Digby Co.
- Inventive Marine Products Ltd., Bedford, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Louisbourg Seafoods Ltd., Louisbourg, Cape Breton Regional Municipality
- James L. Mood Fisheries, Lower Woods Harbour, Shelburne Co.
- Maritech Dynamics Ltd., Halifax, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Open Blue Sea Farms Inc., Bedford, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Riverside Lobster International Inc., Meteghan River, Digby Co.
- Sea Star Seafood Ltd., Clark’s Harbour, Shelburne Co.
- Ships Lobster Pound Ltd., Lower Woods Harbour, Shelburne Co.